Eid al Fitr / Sunnahs of Eid
Islamic Shariah caters all needs of human beings. There are times for serious worship like in Ramadan or Hajj and occasions of happiness like Eid. Eid al Fitr is the first Eid of the year which is celebrated on 1st Shawwal when Muslims complete one month fasting of Ramadan. It is the day of celebration for Muslims after spending month of great rewards and benefits and i.e. Ramadan.
Islam is a decent and balanced religion who does not allow to celebrate a happy day with singing and dancing rather Islam has given its own of values for celebrating Eid. We get to know these etiquettes and values from Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) and traditions of pious companions (R.A).
SadaqatulFitr/Zakat al Fitr
It is mandatory on Muslims to pay Zakat al Fitr before they go for Eid prayer on the Eid day. Read more on this topic here.
Muslims should gather for Eid prayer in some open place and perform Eid prayer in congregation as per Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w). Eid prayer’s method is different from regular Salah because of additional Takbeeratin it. It is such a beautiful Sunnah which gives opportunity to meet and greet after the Eid Salah.
What to do before going for Eid prayer?
As per Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) one should do following acts before going for Eid prayer:
- Wake up early and do Miswaak.
- Take bath and put on your best clothes.
- Spray yourself with perfume (Attar)
- Eat dates or something sweet. It comes in a hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari from Anas ibn Maalik, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used not to go out on the morning of Eid al-Fitr until he had eaten some dates… of which he would eat an odd number. Al-Bukhaari, 953.
- Say Takbeer out loud: Al-Daaraqutni and others narrated that on the morning of Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, Ibn ‘Umar would strive hard in reciting takbeer until he came to the prayer place, then he would recite takbeer until the imam came out. One should say Takbeer in these words while going for Eid prayer as well as at the time of coming back home. Takbeer wordings are as follows: “Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La ilahailallahuwalallahuakbar, allahuakbarwalillahilhamnd.”
The time for takbeer on Eid al-Fitr starts from the night before Eid until the imam enters to lead the Eid prayer.
- Go to Eid prayer from one route and come back home through another route: It was narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: On the day of Eid, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to vary his route. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 986.
Now it is commonly seen that people go to visit graves of their beloved ones after offering Eid prayer. There is no particular fixed day for this activity. Moreover, it is Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) to fast for six days after Eid day in month of Shawwal.
Read more about this topic here:
Quran Coaching Academy is working with a notion to serve the souls who are eager to learn about Islam. We are offering various courses like Quran Memorization, Nazra Quran (Fluent Quran Reading), Basic Tajweed, Advance Tajweed, Tafseerul Quran,Arabic Grammar, Urdu language and Daily Islamic Supplications.You can get yourself or your child enrolled in any of these courses for leading a life in an Islamic Way.